Unusually rainy and windy weather in July, before the feast of St. James provoked the parishioners to ask: is it going to be possible to celebrate Holy Mass in the open, as usually? The weather had providentially changed, and solemn procession with Saint James’ statue left the church at 10.45 AM and went towards the park. This year, the statue of the saint was carried by the inhabitants of Šurmanci, who were especially proud, because this year’s main celebrant also came from their village. His name is Fr. Dani Kordic, he was ordained a year ago and is a Carmelite. Holy Mass was concelebrated by Fr. Petar Vlašić, the parish priest, Fr. Ivan Sesar, the Herzegovinian Franciscan provincial, priests from Medjugorje and from surrounding parishes, as well as other priests who were in Medjugorje on that day. Holy Mass was musically accompanied by the parish choir under direction of Sister Slavica Kožul. After Mass, children from the folklore group “Brotnjo” performed a program at the foundations of the old parish church. According to the custom, the families of the parish continued the feast in their homes.
The parish Medjugorje was founded in 1892, and dedicated to Saint James, patron saint of the pilgrims.