On Sunday, September 13, 2009 we are celebrating the Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross in parish of Medjugorje. Holy Masses in the Church of St. James are at 6, 7, 8, 12 and 7 p.m. Solemn Holy Mass is at 11 on the top of the Cross Mountain, and prayer of the Way of the Cross and Rosary begin at 10. The Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross is traditionally celebrated on first Sunday after the feast of Nativity of Blessed Virgin Mary. In the honour of Holy Year of Redemption 1933/1934, parishioners from Medjugorje, encouraged by their parish priest Fr. Bernardin Smoljan, and despite great poverty, decided to build monumental cross on the top of the highest hill in the area, 8.5 meters tall, and 3.5 meters wide. Inside the cross, they carved the original true relics of Jesus’ cross, which they received for that occasion from Rome. First Holy Mass was celebrated after the cross was built on March 16, 1934. on that day they also changed the name of the hill, instead of the name Sipovac that was used up to that time, they started calling the place Krizevac, Cross Mountain. Following year in September, Bishop Fr. Alojzije Misic gave decision that the Feast of Exaltation of the Holy Cross is celebrated in Medjugorje on first Sunday after the Feast of Nativity of Blessed Virgin Mary, and that Holy Mass is celebrated at 11 on the top on those Sundays. Up to 1981, that was feast for parishioners and their friends and relatives from neighboring parishes, and after 1981 it became a feast day for all pilgrims from all over the world.